Thursday, April 10, 2008

MIAMI @ GEORGIA TECH

Series is going down here in ATL this weekend. I will make it out to at least 1 of the games and will give an In Depth on potential first rounders Dennis Raben, Jemile Weeks, and Yonder Alonso.
I will also try to post video of BP...depending on how well my camera takes video.

While I am no expert scout, I do have experience with evaluating amateur talent for college football teams. So, same basic athleticsm principles. If you are not familiar with how scouts evaluates baseball players, SaberScouting.com gives an outstanding overview.

Essentially, beyond the 5 tools, I look at "God given" talents that some players just posses and then other areas where coaching or hard work can improve. For example - when I wrote about Gordan Beckham's approach...the fact that he has only walked 9 times is not alarming because that can easily be improved upon. However, if a player can't recognize off speed pitches that is a big problem because a coach can't just teach a player how to do that.

No comments: